UK Surf Awards reward success in 2009
Newquay's Alan Stokes wins 2009 UK Pro Surf Tour in a dramatic day of surfing at the Animal Newquay Open. Six surfers went into the contest with a chance to take the title. But Stoksie did enough with his second place finish.
The Women's tour was won by Swansea Surfer Gwen Spurlock after a remarkable year of surfing. Last year Gwen had a serious life-threatening accident and was unable to go in the water. This year she has come back with vengeance.
Lewis Clinton of Newquay picks up the Pro Junior Award for 2009. It had been very close between Lewis and Jayce Robinson all year. Jayce had to finish in second place in the last event to take the title which he failed to do, only managing third.
The Under 16 Boys division was very competitive, although Leon Mansfield surfed remarkably well, winning four of the six events to take the title.
Despite fantastic performances from many of the Under 16 Girls, Lucy Campbell from Woolacombe defeated the rest of the field to take the 2009 title.
The future stars of surfing look to be coming from the youngest division. The Under 12 Open this year was very competitive. Everyone was surfing well but leading the pack at the end and taking the 2009 title was Harry De Roth from St Ives.
The 2009 UK Pro Surf Tour culminated in the Surf Awards, supported by the industry, a night to reward surfer's for their achievements.
2009 Surf Awards - In Association With Uk Pro Surf Tour
1. Surfers Village Most Improved Surfer 2009 - Winner: Tom Butler (Newquay)
2. Saltrock Rookie of the Year 2009 - Winner: Lyndon Wake (Croyde)
3. Relentless Money Move 2009 - Winner: Nathan Phillips (Llantwit)
4. Globe Surfers Choice Award 2009 - Winner: Tom Butler (Newquay)
5. Christian Surfers Sportsman Award 2009 - Winner: Mark Harris (Newquay)
6. King of Watersports.com King of Waves 2009 - Winner: Alan Stokes (Newquay)
7. The Animal Commitment Award. - Winner: Martin Black (Lyme Regis)
8. Gul Best English Surfer 2009 - Winner: Alan Stokes (Newquay)
9. Gul Best Welsh Surfer 2009 - Winner: Nathan Phillips (Llantwit)
10. Gul Best Scottish Surfer 2009 - Winner: George Watts (Thurso)
11. Rip Curl Most Inspirational Female Surfer - Winner: Gwen Spurlock (Swansea)
12. Wavelength Most Promising Junior 2009 - Winner: Lean Mansfield (Newquay)
13. Carve Aerialist 2009 - Winner: Reubyn Ash (Bude)
14. Surf Girl Most Up and Coming Female Surfer 2009 - Winner: Gabi Rowe (Looe)
15. Tonnta Best Irish Surfer 2009 - Winner: Cain Kilcullen
16. Slide Photoslut Award 2009 - Winner: Reubyn Ash (Bude)
17. A1surf - Most Inspirational Surfer 2009 - Winner: Micah Lester (Australia)
18. Pit Pilot Underdog award. - Winner: Mitch Corbit (Newquay)
19. UKPSA Best Surf Judge 2009 - Winner: David Renyard (Porthleven)
20. UKPSA Services to the Sport of Surfing 2009 Winner: Dave Reed (Newquay)
UK PST 2009 Champions.
Waxy Wax Trophy for U12 Open Champion: Harry De Roth - (St Ives)
Groundswell Trophy for U16 Girls Champion: Lucy Campbell (Woolacombe)
Groundswell Trophy for U16 Boys Champion: Leon Mansfield (Newquay)
Custard Point Trophy for Stand Up Paddleboard: Elliot Dudley (Swansea)
Longboard: Ben Skinner (St Agnes)
Oakley Pro Junior: Lewis Clinton (Newquay)
Pull In Trophy for Women's Champion: Gwen Spurlock (Swansea)
Pull In Trophy for Open Champion: Alan Stokes (Newquay)
Source: UK Pro Surf Tour
>> SURF NEWS INDEX <<