Re: new board need some help
I buy pretty much everything used: cars, motorcycles, surf boards, wetsuits, etc.
Things to look for:
1. general condition - quality patches are OK; look for dents, dings, and breaks in the fiberglass
2. see whether the fiberglass has pulled away from the foam core (it's called delamination). They'll be bumps in the fiberglass that are filled with air, you can press them gently. They are usually large like 6 to 12 inches by 12 to 24 inches
3. pressure dents and cracking along the stringer (Stringer is wood strip that runs down middle of board inside the foam.) Don't buy it if it has this problem. It means the stringer height exceeds the board thickness and repairs are necessary. I will add that these repairs do not have to be extensive, but this is all new to you and you want to go have fun
Not many questions to ask.
1. Any repairs or breaks I can't see?
2. Has the board been broken? If answer is yes and repair is good, no reason not to buy
3. Which surf breaks did you enjoy this board the most with?
4. Does it come with leash and fins?
you can't hardly go wrong at $100