A couple of reasons we may be smarter, then again, these same reasons could be used by shortboarders to indicate why they are smarter than us...
1. We don't have to paddle so hard to get outside. Shortboarder are obviously less bouyant, so the surfer has to work harder to get anywhere.
1a. We don't get as much exercise as shortboarders, who really have to work their tails off to get to the outside.
2. Longboarders prefer a more classic style of riding. I'd rather walk than hop my board, I'd rather cruise than "rip" although quite capable of both.
2a. Longboarders just stand there and take up space. They get perfectly good waves, then just stand there or maybe walk a little if they're more skilled.
3. Longboarders catch waves on the outside.
3a. Shortboarders usually have to go for inside waves.
Note:The Longboard was designed for outside, shortboards more for inside. Just a general rule of thumb, not an unbreakable law. Conditions reign supreme.
4. Shortboarders risk getting cut in half when they snake a Longboarder's wave.
4a. Longboarders risk more legal actions and prison time for manslaughter than Shortboarders do.
5. Being an older guy, you can paddle more, catch more waves and still get laid riding a Longboard.
5a. Shortboarders work harder, and get the six packs, consequently more of the babes.
6. Longboarders have large tools to work with.
6a. Shortboarders tools are not so large.
7. Longboarders generally have jobs and families.
7a. Shortboarders are generally hoping September never comes.
8. Longboarders sometimes ride old, beat up, dinged and repaired again Longboards.
8a. You can always find an abundance of used Shortboards on Craigslist.org.
9. Longboarders sometimes have wax on their boards that has been there longer than most Shortboarders have been surfing.
9a. Shortboarders aren't held back by the restraints of tradition, they're here to break it and create their own, which the next generation will come along and break as well...
10. Longboarders are a curteous and respectful breed.
10a. Shortboarders are often irate and irrational.
11. Longboarder equipment is "vintage," "classic" or "collectable."
11a. Used Shortboards are a dime a dozen.
12. Longboarders "cruise," "put toes on the nose," "walk the dog," and "hang ten." Sounds almost Metro...
12. A Shortboard is designed to "shred," "rip," "tear," a wave, all violent adjectives to describe what they do to a wave.
13. Longboarders love surfing, love the ocean and want to protect it, and protect breaks from being ruined by development (SAVE TRESTLES!).
13a. No argument there.
14. Mostly Shortboarders and Longboarders love the experience of ocean wave surfing. The younger kids obviously may prefer the more cutting edge, high energy style of surf that is popular with their age group. I know many older guys that ride shortboards, so once again this is not an unbreakable law of surfing. The board you ride just puts you in a different ring at the circus.
We're all performing, for ourselves, for the crowd on the beach, whether we like it or not. The board we ride says a little about us, but not alot. I know folks that own both styles and ride them about equally. It is more dependent on the conditions of the waves then how they might feel about a particular type of board.
All in all, it's about getting out there and surfing, whether you're on a Short or a Long, just enjoy the hell out of it, because you might get run over by a bus tomorrow. That's why God called them accidents, because no one expected them to happen, least of all the victim.
Here's a little something written by a surfer named Ken Strayhan, I like to share it with my surfing buds.
<Your friend you must choose carefully. He will become your brah, and over time will mean more than anyone else on this planet. Besides surfing, you will drink copious amounts of beer, smoke pounds of pot, and chase boxcar loads of women together. You will lend each other money when times are tight. You will never ask each other for gas cash. You will inform him when his ass crack is showing over his pants. If he doesn't like the woman you are seeing you will drop her like a hot rock. Conversely, if your new woman thinks your brah is a jerk, that's a sign that she's a bozo and should be avoided.
Boards and wetsuits will be shared. You will hoot for each other on fine days. You will badmouth anyone who drops in on him. People will come to view you as a team. Surf nazis will avoid you because they know that to fight one of you is to fight both of you.
And, years later when you are 40 years old and you and your brah are sitting on a break somewhere listening to the younger guys yacking it up, you will smile and know deep in your soul that there is nothing finer than surfing and the people you do it with.>